France - Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region
2014 - 2016
Context and challenges
- In PACA, 1.1 million tons of organic waste are produced annually. Most often, this waste ends up in landfills or is incinerated. However, regulations have forced a growing number of organic waste producers to sort and process.
- The quantities of organic matter to be managed are increasing and the waste producers are looking for local solutions. The regional composting and methanation sectors are relevant topics.
- However, these solutions are struggling to develop. Existing facilities (2 anaerobic digestion units and 60 composting platforms) are insufficient to handle all the waste produced. In addition, the lack of information of professionals is a major obstacle to the marketing of compost and the birth of new biogas projects.
- GERES has been working with ADEME on these topics for more than 10 years and proposes to put its expertise at the service of the territorial development of these sectors.
- To develop the visibility of the regional composting and methanation sectors and to reinforce the knowledge on them: creation of an online resource center and a service of advice to the producers of organic waste on the adapted solutions (fight against the waste food, cooperation of producers for collection …)
- Stimulate the emergence of anaerobic digestion projects: facilitate the path of project promoters through personalized support, the networking of waste producers and biogas project holders and support for the structuring of a regional methanation policy
- Promote the distribution and use of quality compost and promote the development of short circuits. It will network producers and users to develop the marketing of compost in a territory composed of several municipalities
- Realize an inventory of fixtures and a follow-up of the development of the two sectors at the regional level
- ADEME Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur (Energy saving and Environment agency)
- Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region