Energy efficiency and thermal comfort of educational buildings in Arkhangai
This project, whose action program runs from 2019 to 2021, aims at improving education conditions in schools in Arkhangai by optimizing the energy efficiency of buildings.
Context and challenges
The Arkhangai Province is a predominantly rural area located in the heart of the Khangai Mountain in Mongolia. It is characterized by an extreme continental climate with hot summers and long, dry and extremely cold winters.
Geres has been working in Arkhangai since 2012 in partnership with civil society and local authorities. A Community-based study and awareness and capacity building activities has shown that global warming is a pressing reality for the Arkhangai population.
Over-reliance on coal for heating and cooking purposes is a key factor to Greenhouse Gases emissions and strongly contributes to air pollution. Related health problems disproportionately affect children, pregnant and lactating women, and elderly.
Most public buildings (educational, health, social, administration) don’t comply with insulation standards, offering very poor comfort to their occupants.
The pilot construction of an energy-efficient bioclimatic building housing a safe house for victims of domestic violence in the provincial capital, carried out by Geres in 2018- 2019, has shown the interest and relevance of this type of construction to reduce the consumption of coal dependence, energy expenditure and improve the living conditions of users.
Objectives and solutions
In order to contribute to reduce carbon footprint and increase resilience to climate change through an inclusive energy transition in Arkhangai province this project focuses on three complementary axes:
- Pilot interventions in educational buildings demonstrating the feasibility and relevance of improving energy efficiency in public buildings to improve the comfort and well-being of occupants and users, reduce energy savings expenses and reduce air pollution.
- The gradual rise in skills of professionals in the buildings sector, allowing the emergence of a local supply of solutions related to energy efficiency sustainable energy services.
- Raising awareness of territorial stakeholders (public authorities, associations, citizens, etc.), strengthening local institutions capacities for energy-climate planning.
- 700 school children and educational personnel will benefit from better thermal comfort
- 12,000 citizens aware of energy and climate issues
- 20 construction companies, more than 180 craftsperson and / or entrepreneurs supported
- 96,000 inhabitants of Arkhangai will, benefit from better local policies
- 400 elected officials and technicians from institutions, as well as 2 local associations strengthened on energy-climate issues
- Government of Arkhangai
- “Sustainable Future Development” association
- Provincial Union Builders NGO
You will want to bring down your image file size right down to the point before you notice a drop in quality. This is done through image compression. Most photo editors, plugins, and sites like tinypng.com compress images using lossless compression (which shrinks the image file without losing any image quality) and smart lossy compression (which decreases the size of the image file by reducing metadata and image quality in a way that isn’t really noticeable by the user).
Engagé pour la solidarité climatiqueEn savoir plus
French Development Agency (AFD)
TO GO FURTHER
WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE ACTION
AND SUPPORT WHAT WE DO?
Tell us who you are and find your means of action.