Type of publication: Technical guide
- Edition: GERES ; ICIMP
- Author: Vincent Stauffer, GERES
- Year: 2009
- Language: English, Russian, Tajik
- Pages: 71
- ISBN: 92-9115-832-1
One of the major challenges is to help communities use the inactive winter period to increase food security and generate additional income. Fortunately, one ressource that the trans-Himalayas has in abundance is sunshine, especially in winter. Solar radiation can be used to improve the quality of life in many ways. Potential benefits include warming houses, schools, dispensaries and handicraft centres, and developing off-season agricultural activities such as composting, greenhouse production, and poultry farming.
This manual focuses on the construction of passive solar greenhouses that enable vegetables to be grown during winter in the high altitude areas of the trans-Himalayas.
- Part A: Theory of passve solar greenhouses for cold area
- Part B: Technical guidelines for building a greenhouse
Download the technical guidebook
- Solar Greenhouses for the Trans-Himalayas: a construction manual (English) (PDF, 4Mb)
- Solar Greenhouses for the Trans-Himalayas: a construction manual (Russian) (PDF, 3 Mb)
- Solar Greenhouses for the Trans-Himalayas: a construction manual (Tajik) (PDF, 3.7Mb)